‘Summertime streets‘ was a series of temporary changes introduced on streets in the Old Town, between 28th July and 1st September 2019.
They were introduced by the City of Edinburgh Council, so that Old Town’s busiest streets would be easier and safer for pedestrians during Edinburgh’s busiest month.
This is a map of planned temporary changes. It was published here.
It was not clear if the City of Edinburgh Council is measuring the success of ‘Summertime streets‘, or how this might be achieved.
So, Mike decided to volunteer his help.
Mike measured how ‘Summertime streets‘ was working on the Cowgate seven days a week, between the hours of 19:00 and 05:00. He took photographs of what he saw and posted these on his twitter handle, @tesodb.
The links below are a selection of the tweets posted by Mike between 28th July and 1st September 2019. All photos are copyright of @tesodb.
- Police Officer hit by car in Edinburgh’s Cowgate where traffic is banned during Summer (Daily Record)
- Cop ‘dragged by car down street’ by alleged early morning City centre incident (Scottish Sun)
- Man in Court after Police Officer hit by car in Cowgate (BBC)
- Man charged after Police Officer knocked down while trying to stop car on Cowgate (Edinburgh Live)
- Man in Court after Police Officer hit by car in the Cowgate (Edinburgh Evening News)